Monday, August 4, 2008

I've been messing around with doing some black & white paintings lately. These are all on 2x2' plywood panels in oil paint. Of the 3, the first is the most 'complete' but I'm sad that it's lost a lot of the texture that is still really visible in the last one. I'm really liking the hands but I think the body has gotten way too smooth.







I have yards and yards of an old canvas drop cloth from a screenprinting class I took in college and I've slowly been cutting away at it and painting on little scraps of dyed and wrinkled canvas. This weekend I painted a bunch of tiny 2x2" squares on a section of the canvas and then filled the squares in with tiny oil paintings. I'm not sure I really ended up with anything great, but I had a lot of fun and feel excited to do some more. I really want to get to a point where I'm feeling more comfortable with painting in oils. I also want to spend some real time practicing skin tones in paint. That's a place that I've always felt very unsteady.





No comments: